Flower and Vase

After a month of no progress, I am back to it. Finishing out the level. Today I did this:

Flower and Vase: 350 Tris, two 512×512 textures

vase_and_Flowers

At first it felt like a waste of time. But now that I see it in the room, it really did bring the room to life. In game screenshot below.

room_with_flowers

First Decent Looking Asset

I am loving my trial version of Quixel‘s dDo!. I got some great results out of it on my last model. I didn’t model this one from scratch. I started with this chair from arhcive3d.net:

Chair-Original

It was too clean, and had too many triangles for use in a game. The final version below has the triangle count substantially reduced. And lots of scratches, dents, dirt, grime, etc added to it yet a nice varnish on it. I wanted it to look like someone picked this thing out of the garbage and saw the potential, stripped down the wood, then refinished and reupholstered it. My parents were always doing this. So I went ahead and did the same with an unloved digital chair, only I took it in reverse. I made the nice new one look old and beat up to remind me of home.

For the first time, I got pretty close to what I was aiming for.

dirty-old-chair

I think it also goes well with the table in the previous post.

10000 poly fail

I got him down to about 10,000 triangles and the quality was pretty bad. Totally screwed up my normal map and the topology sucked. So I decided to do a few more tutorials and then try again. I got all of the textures into one 1024×1024 map by hand, it took about 4 hours. Then I discovered the texture atlas tool in Daz would have done it automatically, Duh. My cage for baking the normal map was a mess, and poked through on the legs, I never cleaned it up in photoshop. The results of the disastrous first attempt are below, low poly version with normal map on the right.

So I am going to start fresh, this time around I will try using xNormal to bake the maps and textures.

Large Enemy

An imposing enemy that I am trying to optimize for a game. This is the before shot at 21,060 Polys and 42,003 Tris. My goal is to get him to about 4,000 polys. He also has about 5 Tremendous texture maps that I would like to get down to 2, one for him and one for the clothes.

Here he goes all flattened out. Now I just got to make the master texture map to get all 5 of these into one.

Sorted:

Categories